|April 27, 2010||Posted by Melinda under Uncategorized|
Written from the lobby of redgirl’s hotel!
Please excuse the scatter-brained-ness of this post. It’s WAY late, I’m tired, my face itches, and I’m stressed for a myriad of work and personal reasons……Now that I’m done whining – onto the post!
The summary of this wordy tale: Farley is (probably) A-OK!
This morning I iced and surpassed her right leg and called my vet first thing and begged and pleaded for an appointment ASAP.
Dr. S* was nice enough to make time for me during the afternoon, after his long day after regular business hours to see me. I was especially grateful after I learned (several hours later) that I was going to have to fly out to Alabama at 6am on Tuesday morning.
He palapated her leg and got a reaction after getting aggressive. I trotted her out in the round pen for him – both directions at various trot speeds. She looked pretty good – forward and actually sound, if a bit stiff (I expected some stiffness just because of how tough the trail was….not good, but expected).
I explained to him that if ANYTHING was wrong I would NOT be going to Tevis this year and so I REALLY needed to know if something was going on. Because the race was SO TOUGH and she had fallen on cardiac hill.
So we decided to ultrasound. After a long time of comparing the legs and taking measurements and looking at all the different structures, he annouced that in 3 of 4 measurements, the right suspensory was slightly thicker than the left. In his opinion this is relatively minor inflammation and I shouldn’t worry about it. That this low level type of inflammation was probably present after most difficult rides, but I was hyper aware due to the obvious strenuous nature of the ride.
The plan is: Normal work. If I notice swelling or heat I am to notify him immediately, but otherwise to continue the way I normally would (1 week off, 1 week easy, then return – gradually – to regular work). Just for “extra caution” he’s reccomending a recheck the week before Wild West just to make sure that the inflammation has dissapeared.
So, this was probably a false alarm. BUT I still think it was money well spent. It gave me peace of mind for the moment (that no damage was done) AND gave me peace of mind for the future – it showed me just how nicely conditioned her tendons and ligaments are – they are bright and WHITE on the ultrasound with excellent fiber patterns – even in the old bow.
Above all – I yet again confirmed that I can trust my gut and I can trust Farley. Yes it was very very minor and not even an isue. No one else probably would have noticed. But I did and I was right. It gives me confidence that if I can pick up on something this minor, I WILL notice if something is not right with my horse.
It also gave me a second look at my motives and reasons for doing what I do. What is too extreme? How much of Farley’s well-being am I willing to risk?
Tevis is still on the table. Here’s what needs to happen for it to stay that way.
- This “issue” needs to turn out exactly the way the vet says – no cause for concern and not really an issue at all
- Wild West needs to go off without a hitch
- I need to figure out footwear (ie, glueons at Wild West need to go off without a hitch)
- I need to be in excellent physical shape – ie my knee issue must resolve and I must be able to consitently exercise without injury.
Sorry for all the injury posts – I think I’m hyperaware right now as Farley is worming her way deeper and deeper into my heart….