|November 4, 2009
|Posted by Melinda under Uncategorized
I’ve decided to hold my first-ever blog contest.
The prize will be a hand-knitted, stuffed animal from yours truely. I’m almost done with it…..it will be very very cute – I promise. This will solve the very pressing question of what to do with the darling little animals I’m creating!
Here is the question to be answered:
- What will be my ride time at the L.O.V.E. 50 mile endurance ride on Saturday? This does NOT include hold times and will be based on the unofficial time on the timers sheet the day after the ride.
Here are the rules:
- The person that guesses the closest time without going over to my actual time wins
- Each person gets 3 guesses.
- Guesses have to be listed in the comments section.
- If you want to guess that I will be pulled – you only get one guess and you must list the reason why (Rider option, lame, metabolic, overtime). No hard feelings if you think this BTW! 🙂
- Edit: you have until Saturday at 6am (Pacific time) to turn in your guesses!
Here are your resourses and hints:
- You may search my ride records on AERC.org. My last name is “faubel”. You will be able to see all my past ride times, including the ones on Farley.
- You may look up past ride times from the LOVE ride from previous years. (edited: here’s the link to look up past years – http://www.doublejoy.com/erol/RideResults%5Cdefault.asp Search for the ride – it’s held in November every year in the west region. I would leave the name blank and just search using the month and region.)
- One strategy might be to look at where in the pack I usually finish and then see what that would correspond to in a “typical” LOVE ride.
Here are the factors that might affect my ride time:
- I’ve never ridden this ride before, but I (and Farley!) are very familiar with the trails because we condition there.
- It’s suppose to rain the day before and might rain the day of.
- I’ve been out of town all week.
- The ride is rocky and hilly with some wide gravel roads. A lot of the ride is on single track.
- This is my first ride in boots. If I lose a boot, the trail is not barefoot friendly and I do not have any spare boots.
- I haven’t been running lately and so I’m not in as a good a physical shape as I am normally for rides.
- I like to start ~10 minutes after the official start. (don’t worry – the time that we are going to go by is the “official start” time to the “official” finish time, with the “official” hold time subtracted.
If I do not end up doing this ride, then the contest will restart with the first day at Desert Gold.
Edit: Here is a spreadsheet where I’m entering everyone’s guesses.
Good Luck everyone!
BTW – your guesses are not in any way going to affect how I ride my ride. I’ll ride my horse according to the day.