Postcard from Mare Camp
|January 13, 2017||Posted by Melinda under Uncategorized|
Meanwhile…..The weather has been AWFUL down in the valley for me and trail time has been hard to come by.
I felt like I was going into literal withdrawals without the trail time. Cranky, b*tchy, manic, depressed, annoyed and contemplating murder for the smallest of (perceived) infractions.
I was so grateful I squeezed in a slow (because of the mud) but sunny ride the day before the storm hit, but 7 days without trail time, pony or running still made me absolutely frantic.
I was able to squeeze in a run on Wednesday when the storm broke for a day and while some of the trail was under water, the actually footing wasn’t bad.
We got some more rain after my run finished up on Wednesday, however there are more dry days before the weekend than there was for the run, so I’m hoping that means the trails will be in decent shape for a conditioning ride on Farley this weekend.
It’s predicted to start raining again next week so a ride this weekend is a priority (and somehow a multi-hour run squeezed in there too).
5 weeks until the 100k and less than 30 weeks until Tevis. “Don’t get dumb and injured in the mud, but do what you can” is the motto.
Totally get you on the withdrawls. I’m crabby, the horse is crabby. I went for a walk in the rain out to No Hands the other day and walked/slid a couple miles, but the trails were just treacherous. I’ll be riding this weekend but sticking to the sandy trails at the lake…if they’re not under water! Be careful out there! I’m not looking at the forecast which calls for even more next week…
Wednesday’s are usually my ride days and I looked at the forecast and decided I HAD to make something happen this weekend. Potters in oroville doesn’t look that bad so that’s where I think I’m going to try this weekend.